When I saw an acquaintance post a photo of a wedding greeting from the President of the United Staes and First Lady of the United States, I decided to see if they did birth greetings. In addition to wedding greetings, you can request greetings for wedding anniversaries, retirements, birthdays, and oh yes, birth greetings. Who wouldn’t want to get mail from the President let alone a Presidential greeting?
I remember getting so excited when O received his first piece of mail. Mind you it was from the Social Security Administration and contained his social security card but I was excited. I know, I know, babies are so young, they don’t know how to read, why get excited about mail? I’m a sentimental, I love firsts, almost all kinds. I also like saving any firsts that I can. The first outfit for a holiday, the first pair of shoes O walked in, the first drawing O made, well you get the idea.
You can’t just request a card from the POTUS for anything. There are specific guidelines (as stated on the site):
- You must be a U.S. Citizen
- Birth greetings are only available within a year of the baby’s birth date.
- Birthday greetings are for those that are celebrating a birthday that is 80 years or greater. However for Veterans it starts at 70 years of age.
- Retirement greetings are for service of 20 years or longer.
- Wedding greetings should be made at least 6 weeks in advanced of the wedding date.
- Wedding anniversary greetings are done for 50 years or greater and also must be requested 6 weeks in advance.
I only provided an overview there are other specifics that you can check out here.
I do wish they had a greeting for those adopting because I would assume that is just as much of a joyous event as a birth! So new moms or soon-to-be parents go and request your presidential greeting. Bear in mind it does take awhile for you to receive the card. I requested mine in January and received it a few days ago.
I’ll be keeping W’s in his memory box. I’m not sure if he’ll appreciate it but I still think it’s pretty darn cool to get mail from the POTUS!